Monday, November 5, 2012

Upcycled Game of Thrones Themed Scrabble Tile Coasters


One item that I've been seeing often on Pinterest is the scrabble tile coaster. This appeals to me instantly because it involves upcycling.

To find the materials to make this, I bought an old scrabble board and tiles from a yard sale. I hope to use the board itself in future projects. If you plan on making multiples, keep in mind that certain letters will disappear fast!

Most often, I've seen these coasters with terms like 'beer', 'hops', 'brew', and 'shot', but I wanted to make some with a geeky theme, so I decided to make some with characters names from Game of Thrones (one of my favorite shows) instead. I made two coasters with varying names. I also made a Mario Kart themed one.

Here is the final result:



Although there are many tutorials for making this sort of item, the one I referenced most often was from thegourmetgab.

To make this you will need:
wood glue
modge podge
scrabble tiles
thin cork
xacto knife

Steps:
  • First, I made a list of names I wanted to use that were of the same length (or shorter if there are enough blanks in the set). Select names or words that are 4x4 or 5x5. I figured out the order I wanted to list the names and made sure it didn't spell out anything unintentionally. 

  • Then I measured the tiles and cut a piece of thin cork that I had lying around to match. Scrabble tiles are of slightly varying sizes so don't be surprised if they don't line up perfectly.

  • I coated the cork with wood glue and placed the tiles on and lined them up. I suggest placing them quickly and moving them around to the right spot as soon as possible because soon you won't be able to align them.  

  • Then I measured the tiles and cut a piece of thin cork that I had lying around to match. Scrabble tiles are of slightly varying sizes so don't be surprised if they don't line up perfectly.After allowing the glue to dry,  I coated it with modge podge to make the coaster water resistant.


Both the Mario and Game of Thrones coasters are available on my Etsy shop 'WickedGeekyCrafts' but I highly recommend you try making your own as they are very easy to make!

  Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. I made GoT coasters, I didn't upcycle coasters, i bought new ones. But it's not too difficult to upcycle some coasters :) https://teveelvrijetijd.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/game-of-thrones-onderzetters/

    ReplyDelete